May 8, 2010

There was this election in the UK this week. Talk about stating the obvious, you could not miss it. Even the ash cloud couldn't smother it. There are, and lets be honest, seriously unattractive candidates staring down at you from every lampost. Propaganda's coming through the letter box every other day. I nearly threw out my electoral card on auto pilot thinking it was another shitty flyer.

But that's not to say I'm not interested in the bigger story. For the first time I am. I am damn proud to say that I have voted in every election since I was 18. I haven't always been sure that I'm voting for the right party, and I haven't always been confident that my vote makes a difference but I know for a FACT that there are still people fighting and dying in the world so that they might be able to vote in their country. Especially women. So who am I to throw away my privilege?

It's also made me think about the media and how it impacts our decisions on current affairs. It started with Gordon Brown's slip-up, where he didn't realize his mic was still switched on in his car and he called a nice wee lady a biggot. It was painful and slightly hilarious to watch. Painful because we have all been there, caught making bad judgments when we shouldn't and hilarious because we all know the false pretenses our politicians are working under and seeing a little bit of reality break through is just...funny.

But more locally, there's this well-respected and successful politician. But living in a country like this one, everybody knows somebody who knows the scandal underneath the face on the posters. A face that looks like a weasel but that's irrelevant. But there is some kind of media delay in place, where no information can be released on the record until a certain date. Which is ridiculous because this information proves this politician to be a hypocrite. With regards to some serious campaigns.

Do not be a hypocrite. It is offensive, disrespectful and proves a serious lack of integrity.

Watching this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment