January 2, 2014

#nurture1314

For the past 2 weeks or so, the #nurture1314 hashtag has been popping up in my twitter feed; designed to encourage teachers to share more and better collaborate through the use of online blogs and teaching communities. Although my blog is not a teaching blog, I thought it was a wonderful concept and a better way to resolve and aspire into 2014.

A brief reflection on 2013
Work: I'm nearly halfway through my third year of teaching yet this is my first working in the same school for an entire academic year (and getting paid for it, but that's another post). Up until now it's been maternity covers and sick leaves. Mostly positive experiences but always temporary. Despite this, 2013 has been an affirming year career wise and left me feeling quite content going into the Christmas break. I absolutely love teaching and every nature of the job. The incubation period is over, I feel more confident with every passing term and its comforting to feel established in a career you've worked hard for and chosen for yourself.

Health: No diet fads or crazy boot camp style exercising for me, just everything in moderation. I don't enjoy exercise or healthy eating, but this year I started to appreciate how important it is for my health, mood, skin, hair etc. I find it all very time consuming and expensive considering the work that comes home with me, the fact that I live and eat alone most days and my lack of will power. You'll not catch me running or hitting up the gym unless something's really pissed me off. I like the comfort of a gym class or friends to work out with to make the experience less annoying. I did, however, start a Pilates class just for me this year and I love it. It's beneficial and relaxing and one of my favorite hours in the week some weeks.

Church: 2013 has felt more positive with regards to 'church'. When I say 'church', I'm referring to my attendance, involvement, quality of quiet times etc. Before this year, I found myself feeling frustrated with church life. With the introduction of a cafe-style church and a young adults small group continuing to meet regularly, I feel good about where we're going and I feel good that there are still a small group of people that care about sustaining our demographic here.

Travel: 2013 was another great year for plane rides and photo's of faraway places. I started the year in Paris (at Disneyland!) and flew to New York City for a wedding in the Poconos. With my parents living in Poland, I've visited Warsaw twice this year. And a sun holiday to Tunisia turned out to be one of the best girls holidays I've ever been on. Very different places, equally special memories.

Looking forward to 2014:
Work: I love the days when I drive home from school thinking how much I like my job. I just want to keep enjoying it. I do hope that my current contract is extended because I particularly love the school I'm in right now so I guess I'm going to work so hard to make sure I have no regrets whatever happens. I think there's a little wiggle room in terms of the number of hours I put into things like teaching resources and out-of-the-box activities. I'm good at my job but a huge part of that, I suspect, is the great rapport I have with most of my pupils but I don't want to solely depend on that. I want to start implementing new strategies, perfecting what I'm already doing and thinking up brand new ideas. Even if it means sacrificing another hour in the evening.

Health: My body is excited to get back to it's routine and normal food intake. I used to be able to eat crap, stay up late, wake up late and spend my days doing nothing but watching DVD boxsets and feel great about it. Not anymore. This year I have a little motivational wall with pictures of salads and toned bodies and quotes about hard work and perseverance and I'm ready to go. One specific goal? I want to walk more great walks. Beautiful walks, interesting walks, walks in new places, walks with friends and walks alone.

Church: I've become so focused on 'adult' things and the future that my relationship with God has become a little boring. I have a fairly solid foundation with God and numerous experiences, happy and sad, to build on but I think I've been taking him for granted. I think that when you know somebody is in your life forever, it's very easy to become complacent and prioritize things that are far less certain. It's the control freak in all of us. But this year, I must try to dig a little deeper. It's all become a little stale. Like popcorn left overnight; still sweet but no crunch. .

Travel: I'm very excited about this one! This summer, I'm taking a team of teens to India. I don't know how much traveling I'll be able to do outside of this trip but my goal, for quite a few years now, has been one new adventure each year and trekking in the Himalayas and working in schools there alongside a group of irish kids from cross communities seems like a fairly epic adventure to me.



1 comment:

  1. Interesting to read, Debs!

    Hope 2014 is a very positive and rewarding year for you.

    ReplyDelete