January 20, 2012

I don't buy magazines very often, tabloids, glossy or otherwise. They're full of gossip about people I don't care for and clothes that will either look ridiculous on me or set me up nicely for bankruptcy. But today I bought a pile of them because I was looking forward to a Friday evening on my sofa with ER boxsets and a take out to myself. After a week spent supervising exams, marking paper after paper and another week spent constantly coming, going and coming back again, taking Friday night off and staying in was something to get stoked about.

I never intended to blog this weekend because to be honest, the highlights of my week revolved around some very humorous exam answers from some of my most unmotivated students. But while I was reading one of my magazines, I found myself inspired to blog because I was reading articles by some great writers. It made me think about what makes a writer a great one. A writer isn't necessarily somebody who puts together some great sentences with a few fancy words. A good writer is somebody whose work has you nodding in agreement the whole way through. Somebody who makes you feel like they took the words right out of your mouth and put them in a better order than you could. I like writers that write about normal, everyday things or those that write about real issues in a way that motivates you to get involved or have an opinion. And these days, when my life revolves around early mornings, long school days and tutoring, any writer that makes me whip out the laptop and write myself is a great one.

Here's to inspiration! Have a good weekend everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment