September 3, 2012

A Red Letter Revolution

Before the end of the summer i went to hear two authors, Shane Claiborne and Tony Campolo share some of their life experiences. Campolo is also the founder of Urban Promise, a non-profit organisation very near and dear to my heart. They opened their discussion with one question. What words do we associate with the term 'Christian'? Apparently a recent survey says...anti-gay, anti-woman, judgemental, hypocritical, irrelevant. How awful? How tragic? How, and I hate to say this, potentially accurate? It's like Ghandi said, the rest of the world seems to know more about Christianity than Christians. Ghandi also said that he liked our Christ, but not our Christians. Food for thought.


Cue this idea of Red Letter Christians. Christians who live by the words of Jesus only. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the bible, the new testament is filled with sections of text written in red to represent the actual words Jesus said. The sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7 is a famous and perfect example. Of course, the rest of the bible can't be forgotten but by focusing on these red letters, we no longer pluck verses from scripture, out of context, and use them to make ourselves feel better or back up arguments and opinions on things we really know nothing about. It means we are constantly challenged to do what we can to see Jesus in our everyday lives.

There were 2 stories that I've thought alot about since hearing them. The first is about a homeless guy who didn't want money or food or drugs from Campolo. He wanted a hug. He wanted comfort and reassurance in the form of human contact. The incident reminded Campolo of a few of Jesus' red letters. When I was hungry, did you feed me? When I was thirsty, did you give me something to drink? When I was a stranger, did you invite me in? When I was sick, did you look after me? When I was in prison, did you visit me? When I was homeless, did you give me a hug?

Matthew 25:40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

The second story centred around a trip to Haiti. Campolo described one particular street, where mothers emerge each morning carrying the bodies of children who have passed away during the night. Attending the funeral with his students, he sees his 6ft 7, 250lb student with his fists clenched, chin trembling and tears streaming. He realises that this kids life is changed permanently. Its changed because his heart has broken over the same thing that has broken Jesus' heart. And I'm thinking that you and I might benefit from a little heartache.

"Break my heart for what breaks yours. Everything I am for your kingdoms cause. As I walk from earth into eternity" ~ Hillsongs

Don't block the rest of the world out for fear that it may make you feel uncomfortable or afraid. Educate yourselves in global matters of social justice and let it motivate you to make some changes and thank God for the blessings in your life. And look out for Jesus tomorrow on your way to work, in your classroom, on your lunch hour or in your home.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, with plenty to certainly think about! By the way, I love that song Hosanna gets me every time! Read your blog about church on Sunday, glad to hear it was buzzing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking into consideration my interest in this topic I must say that your article is rewlly well-written and informative. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete