January 1, 2016

2016 Day 1

Another new year. It's exhausting. Counting down to different things throughout the year...holidays, occasions, finishing a project...and culminating in Christmastime which is this wonderful opportunity to eat and be lazy, drink and be merry. Then you go straight back to day 1 and start all over again. It's exhausting.

How did you start 2016? My New Year Day's have followed somewhat of a pattern in recent years. A big lazy lie in because, let's face it, there's only 3 more sleeps til back to work alarms followed by taking down the Christmas decorations (reluctantly). I know it's only Day 8 of Christmas but the end of the season can make me feel very sad and anxious. I miss the lights and the songs of Christmastime when they're gone. I miss the lazy mornings and carefree days. I miss the friends and family who you don't see too often throughout the year. So instead of dwelling on the sadness, I suck it up and pack it all away. I print my photo's and smile while I stick them on the fridge or in the photo album. I clear the space, re-organise a little and this makes it easier to get back into gear and move forward.

This might seem like quite a negative take on the beginning of a new year but I'm actually sharing this because my New Year's resolution is to focus on the positive and not dwell on the negative. There's alot in my life that could make me anxious, things like money, goals I haven't achieved yet, neglected friendships, missing things when they're over or gone. But there is so much more in my life that I can look forward to...traveling, buying my first home, birthday parties, no more job insecurities and all the things I don't even know about yet.

I'm going to try to stop worrying, and start looking forward. Today I tried to stop worrying that Christmas was over, and started to look forward to 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment