May 31, 2010

If you haven't guessed already, I am a huge Formula 1 fan and have been since I was just 14. Around the time Jenson Button started his career and our very own Eddie Irvine was so close to a world championship. It's special to me because my interest in the sport sparked a great relationship with my grandfather and when I was younger, before I left little Northern Ireland, my entire extended family would get together for the races and enjoy lunch together throughout.

Things are a little different now. My race afternoons are my 'me' time and my knowledge and fascination in the sport is alot more in depth and less dependant on just certain drivers. And every so often there is a race that is just simply awesome from start to finish. A race that gets me so excited that it's all I want to talk about. Better than a great movie. And often was yesterday, in Turkey, Istanbul Park. Now any track with a corner called 'The Shredder' is sure to be a goodie but nobody anticipated just how hungry for victory the top drivers were. Miles ahead of the rest of the pack, nobody was prepared to take second place.  It was as if we were watching a championship deciding race. Natural racing instinct or killer ego's, whichever you prefer, were the order of the day. Excellent.

There is an unwritten rule in Formula 1 that you do not, under any circumstances, take out your team mate. And every time it happens, the backlash is phenomenal. It sparks questions over favortism, a teams integrity, a teams true strength. We see politics, we see people crack under pressure and we see drama. Even in a world as professional as the F1 bubble.

I love Formula 1. I am completely intrigued by every detail. The lifestyle, the technology, the intelligence, the determination, the ambition and the total commitment. It is a sport we actually excel at and the England football team could learn alot for the world cup if they spent some time with Formula 1 drivers in their teams factories. I love that Formula 1 is a true team sport with room for individual greatness. I love the journalism and I love the photography. My dream job would be in the F1 paddock, but whatever I end up doing, I hope that I will do it with the same passion and commitment that I see every year.

Next stop....Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment