January 8, 2011

Is there any point in getting upset over things that are out of our control? I'm asking myself this question because, sure, getting upset might suggest a certain level of compassion but the things that are worrying me and frustrating me are things I can't fix or change. I don't talk about it because I know that the best piece of advice anybody could give me is to take it in my stride and move forward. In other words, suck it up.

Like a course you're studying; whether it's an unsupportive loser of a lecturer or an insanely heavy workload, you can't do anything about it because if you want to get to where you want to be in life, you have no choice but to get yourself to graduation, to the job interview, to work every morning. Or a friend who seems more distant than usual, who isn't responding despite your persistent attempts for it not to be the case. The ball isn't in your court so let it go. The ball always comes back. Or, and this is the worst one, when you know you are going to have to deal with the loss of somebody you love. You definitely can't control this one.

Feelings get us nowhere most of the time. I know alot of my thoughts are negative and they're wasting my headspace, destroying my productivity and making me want to sleep more so I can deal with things less. But I'm sick of it now. I don't want to live up to others expectations anymore, just my own. I'm tired of feeling paranoid. I'm bored of waiting for something exciting to happen. Always counting down to something is growing old.

I don't need a new haircut or a facial or new clothes. I just need to change what I spend my time thinking about and how I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment