April 11, 2011

 What a weekend! I cant remember a weekend when I have invested so much time in so many different sports. We decided to head to Northampton to support the local rugby lads in the Heineken Cup and throughout the weekend, we found ourselves avidly watching F1, golf and rugby. Now Im certainly not a diehard rugby fan, but I like to support local teams, so when supporting a local team meant I got a weekend out of the country, lets just say I was more than happy to clue up on rugby. Unfortunately, the boys werent able to translate a strong start into a win but the atmosphere was electric, being in the MK Stadium reminded me alot of watching baseball and football in Canada.

Even more unfortunately, Rory McIlwroy,  another local lad, found himself lost in translation and I think most who tuned in to watch the back 9 of the final day, those with or without any affiliation to wee Northern Ireland, still deemed McIlwroy a winner and will be waiting patiently for the day that will surely come when he wins the US Masters.

As much as I enjoyed my weekend, this blog will hardly be turning into an ode to all things sports. But I really liked the sense of commraderie that came with supporting the locals. Even though we were in Northampton, and Rory was playing in Florida, Id say most people back home cared about the outcome and took time to tune in and show their support. Even if, like me, they dont know all that much about the sport. That element of community is something that I love about our country and, after the events in Omagh last week, our weekend performance in the sporting world is something we can all be proud of. So lets look forward to more chances next year.

(You will notice a lack of apostrophes in the preceding paragraphs, but Im stuck on a boat using a strange version of a computer and I cant figure out how to use the buttons. Writing career terminated?)

No comments:

Post a Comment