May 8, 2011

This week, I started my fourth and final teaching placement in a local special school. It's true that I started this placement with a very un-committed attitude. With just 4 weeks to go before I finish my initial teacher training, very few would blame me for just concentrating on getting the placement done and dusted with no major road blocks and, at the end of the day, it is unlikely that I will be teaching Chemistry in a special school.

After week 1, I haven't changed my mind but I was very pleasantly taken aback by the young people in my class. A small group of young people, aged 16-18, who are among the most immediately kind and hospitable group of kids I have ever worked with. And I have worked with ALOT of kids and young people. We could all learn alot from how understanding and accepting these young people are, even when faced with such severe learning difficlties. They are truly gentle souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment