September 25, 2011

This week we were talking about our ambitions but not in a corny american teen drama kind of way. We just realised that we had been friends for years but didn't really know what we aspired to do with our lives beyond the obvious. What's even stranger is that most of us had to think about it for a moment first, when surely our ambitions are things we're striving towards everyday?

I'm still getting used to being a teacher and I'm excited to see where it takes me, but it was never all that I wanted to do. Working with young people is awesome, and hopefully I will be a great teacher who makes a difference but it won't be all my life is. There is so much more traveling I want to do, photo's I want to take, people I want to meet. I want to write a book, or have a column in a newspaper. That's why I ever started this blog (3yrs ago!).

When I really start to think about it, there is a difference between my ambitions and my goals, because I have lots of little goals I'm working on all the time. Things like saving money, staying motivated, getting the balance just right, making the right decisions, independence. It feels like I'm failing miserably most of the time, which can make it difficult to give advice out to young people.

I don't know if I'll achieve my ambitions to write and to travel, or if I'll master every little goal, but I'm excited to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment