February 19, 2012

Rachel Joy Scott

Some may recognise the name and others might not, but I sincerely hope that most of you do. Rachel Joy Scott was the first girl to be killed in the Columbine High School tragedy in 1999. Her story was one of the first ones I read when I first started questioning God years ago. Her story is all about faith, compassion for kindness and the impact her short life has had across the world ever since.

But this evening, as I heard the story being told again to a newer generation of young people, I started to think more about the high school teacher who also died that day, rather than the students. Before this year, I never had reason to resonate with teachers in particular because I was still the student, finding my way, only responsible for myself.

But what would I do if something even remotely similar happened in a school where I was teaching? It was an overwhelming thought, realising your responsibility for the young people in your classroom. I even thought about the 2 students who committed the crime and took their own lives and the hateful attitudes they had developed. Could one more positive influence in their lives have made a difference?

Yes, these questions are overwhelming, but also good for the soul, a reminder that your job is an important one. Which is nicely timed, considering half-term is over and it's back to school tomorrow. Goodnight all.

No comments:

Post a Comment